January is always a hard one. I mean yes, it’s alllllllll about starting over, about starting the year fresh and that’s amazing…But with all that good stuff comes a whole lot of pressure, the pressure to start the new year just right, to start the new year perfect. It’s (let’s be honest) a little bit overwhelming.
And if you’re anything like me, you might have let that pressure win in January. The holiday celebrations lasted a little bit longer than anticipated. Sooo many dang celebrations. I moved back to Washington, DC and let the busyness of life take over all aspects. I was busy packing. Busy unpacking. Busy starting new classes. Busy reconnecting with friends. I made excuses (to myself) for not going to yoga. And maybe forgot to workout for a week or two or maybe even longer. Oops. Like I said, I was busy.
There was a lot happening that life simply got the best of me. And before I knew it I was too focused on my to-do list that I forgot about my new year intentions.
And that’s okay. Because now we have February. 28 days to make up for the past 31.
And that’s why I like February. I l-o-v-e the month of February. It’s cute. And I’m a sucker for cute. It’s an entire 28-days filled with overpriced chocolate and Hallmark love stories. It’s a month full of cliches and more importantly, it’s a month where the pressure to be perfect, where the pressure to adhere to all your unrealistic resolutions don’t exist.
My mantra for February is to love my body and love myself, intentionally, ambitious, enthusiastically and confidently.
And my intentions follow that manta because consistency is the golden ticket to this thing that we call life,
- Give your body some love and eliminate food that doesn’t serve you (sorry dairy, it’s time for a break unless you’re in the form of fancy cheese because cheese plates are love for the soul)
- Turn off electronics at 10 pm (go to sleep earlier, get your zzz’s)
- Drink more water
- Go to one new spot in DC once a week, even if you go alone (make a list and start crossing off places you’ve always wanted to go)
- Don’t be so hard on yourself
- Trust your gut but also love your gut (start taking probiotics)
- Write. Write. Write. (post weekly on the blog)
- Practice yoga 3x/week
Keeping it simple this month. Sometimes you just need simple reminders to get yourself back on track. So, let’s all commit to treating ourselves right this month without all the “new year, new me” pressure.
That’s all for now,